home prog troph gallery Dirs mins ebu neba Club
MonMorn Mond tues wed thurs fridmorn frid sat Classes

Whitley Bay & Tynemouth Bridge Club

 Minutes of Committee Meeting held on

Monday 23rd September, 2019 at 10.00am

 Present:

Mr S Renold                          Chairman

Mr R Blofeld

Mr P H Jackson

Mrs M Whiting

Mrs Jean Garside

Mrs G Keating

 Apologies for absence:

Mr J Neilson                          Secretary

Mr L Monkhouse                  Treasurer

Mrs A Cowan

Ms H Morrow

Mrs B Day

Mr A McRitchie

Minutes of Previous Meeting

The minutes of the meeting held on 12th August, 2019 were accepted as a true and correct record. They were accordingly signed for publication.

 Matters Arising

A mortice deadlock has been fitted to the back door of the premises. Keys are held by Steve Renold and Robert Blofeld. A spare key is held in the safe.

The club program for this season has now been published. It was decided to renew the regular announcing of the upcoming events on the notice board.

Treasurer's Report

Attached.

Membership

We welcome returning Sonia Grey to the club.

 Upcoming Events

 
Teaching/Classes

Phil has started the EBED "Continuing Bridge Book 2" course on Wednesday evenings.                                  

The cub has now planned a new course, based on the EBU "Fast track model. The committee agreed the following:

Maximum 16 participants, Course to start Wednesday, October 23rd, to run over two 8 week terms.

Teachers will be John Paton, Steve Black and Robert Blofeld + up to 6 assistants

Cost £40 per term, payable in advance. The EBU Fast Track booklet will be provided

Publicity will be by flyer, initially within the club and then spreading further afield

Kitchen Refurbishment

There are a number of options covering replacement of the working tops, cupboard doors, sorting out the plumbing and redecorating. Costs are likely to be in the range £2-3000.

Possible Sale of Premises

There has been a potentially serious buyer looking at the property but we understand no offer has yet been made. After discussion it was decided that no serious contingency planning is necessary at this early stage. The matter will be readdressed at the next meeting with the treasurer present. Our current lease runs until August 2021.

Any Other Business

We congratulate Linda Pyke and Bernard Shepherd on their victory in the NEBA Senior Pairs event. Pam Gladwin and Rhona Stead were runners up, and Margaret and Neville Davies came third.

The committee has been asked to replace the honours boards removed during the hall refurbishment. It was agreed that some of them should be. Steve will look into this.

Three members have written in complaint to the committee on an incident concerning the handling of noise while others are still playing. Steve will follow this up. We would remind members to show courtesy to others by talking quietly between rounds.

The Christmas Party will be held on Wednesday, December 18th Ann Cowan will take responsibility for the arrangements.

Next year will see the 75th anniversary of the club's founding. The committee will explore suitable ways to celebrate.

The frequency of uploading the results to the EBU (currently weekly) was discussed.

Next Meeting

This will be held on Monday November 18th at 10:00 am

The meeting closed at 11.15 am.

Robert Blofeld

September 30th, 2019

 

 

Whitley Bay & Tynemouth Bridge Club

Minutes of Committee Meeting held on

Monday 12th August, 2019 at 10.00am

Present:

Mr S Renold              -           Chairman

Mr J Neilson              -           Secretary

Mr L Monkhouse      -           Treasurer

Mr R Blofeld,   Mr P H Jackson,    Mrs G Keating,   Mrs B Day

Mrs M Whiting,   Mrs Jean Garside,   Mr Allan McRitchie

Apologies for absence:

Mrs A Cowan,   Ms H Morrow

Minutes of Previous Meeting

The minutes of the meeting held on 1st July, 2019 were accepted as a true and correct record. They were accordingly signed for publication.

Matters Arising

Options for playing cards for the visually impaired that are compatible with the Club's dealing machine are still being investigated.

With respect to the use of aggregate scoring, opinions were sought from the Wednesday and Saturday players, and a small majority were in favour of Match pointed scoring It was decided that the choice between aggregate and match pointed scoring would be made on an occasion by occasion basis.When there are full tables.

The stair lift contract has been renewed and the stair lift has been serviced.

A new lock is still to be fitted.

Membership

There are no new members to report.

Upcoming Events

A draft programme for 2019/2020 was produced. Some amendments were made and the revised version will be put on the notice board and the website.

Teaching/Classes

Phil Jackson will run the EBED 2nd year Wednesday evening classe this Autumn.

Four members of the Club attended the EBED training course in Halifax with a view to forming the nucleus of a group that will offer intensive courses to absolute beginners. The timing, precise format, start date and marketing programme for such a course is still to be decided. A number of helpers will be required to assist in the delivery of the course.

Kitchen Refurbishment

A small sub group consisting of Steve Renold, Robert Blofeld and Jean Garside will be considering options and will report back at the next meeting.

Possible Sale of Premises

The Clubs's landlord is putting on the market the bridge club building (including the shops on the ground floor, nos. 218-228 Whitley Road). If it is sold, we will not be affected until our lease runs out in 2021. There is a possibility that the club could buy our part of the premises (the top floors). This is assuming that the whole building is not sold.

Any Other Business

It was agreed that following the release of the draft minutes of the Committee meeting that members would respond within 7 days with any corrections or amendments; after which a finalised version would be put on the noticeboard.

Next Meeting

This will be held on Monday 23rd September at 10:00 am

The meeting closed at 11.40 am.

Whitley Bay & Tynemouth Bridge Club

 Minutes of Committee Meeting held on

Monday 1st July, 2019 at 10.00am

Present:

Mr S Renold               -           Chairman

Mr J Neilson                -           Secretary

Mr R Blofeld

Mr L Monkhouse       -            Treasurer

Mrs B Day

Mrs M Whiting

Mrs Jean Garside

Mr Allan McRitchie

 Apologies for absence:         

Mr P H Jackson

Mrs A Cowan

Mrs G Keating

Ms H Morrow      

Minutes of Previous Meeting

The minutes of the meeting held on 10th June, 2019 were accepted as a true and correct record.  They were accordingly signed for publication.

Matters Arising

With respect to Friday morning sessions and whether they should become play only sessions (with no teaching). A survey of those present on 29 June showed 22 against this proposal, 8 for the proposal and 2 abstentions. It was agreed therefore that the session format should remain unchanged.

The Chairman presented options for playing cards for the visually impaired. A key consideration is to find a format that is compatible with the dealing machine. It was agreed that further research was required

Membership

There is one new member to report, Carolyn Duffy.

Upcoming Events

A programme for 2019/2020 was not produced because at the time of the meeting NEBA had not published their calendar for the year ahead. The schedule of events for next year will therefore be included on the agenda for discussion at the next meeting.

It was noted that preparations for the charity event to be held on 11 July are well underway.

Items carried forward from the Annual Review

These matters that were raised during the Review were discussed by the Committee. It should be noted that:

  • Improvements to the kitchen and lobby. A sub group of 3-4 people will be convened by the Chairman to bring back recommendations

  • Player host system. Discussion on this item ranged over all aspects of the recruitment and progression of members. Particular focus was on a presentation made by representatives from Yorkshire that had been given at a NEBA meeting attended by the Chairman. A note presented at that meeting will be scanned and circulated, but a key point to emerge was the importance of involving as many people from the club as possible in the recruitment and development of members. This subject is to be discussed further following circulation of the note.

  • Reduce the number of competitions/trophies played for. This item was deferred for consideration at a later date.

  • Stop using aggregate scoring. It was agreed that those playing on Wednesday afternoons and Saturday evenings would be asked to vote on the matter, and then a decision would be made.

  • Beginners classes (one year course). Robert Blofeld will undertake an EBU teaching course in August. Steve Renold and Jim Neilson will also approach teacher members of the Club to ascertain their willingness to become involved.

  • Tea breaks drinks dispensing. The Committee decided that there were too many drawbacks to using a dispensing machine, and thus to leave current arrangements unchanged.

Any Other Business

Two further matters were discussed.

§  The recent theft from the club and the importance of making sure that the front door was locked during play and at the end of each session; a new lock would also be added to the back door.

§  The renewal of the stair lift maintenance contract. It was agreed that the Club would take up the Basic Service at a cost of £95 p.a.

Next Meeting

This will be held on 12th August at 10:00 am

The meeting closed at 11.25 am.

Jim Neilson

6th July 2019

 

Whitley Bay & Tynemouth Bridge Club

Minutes of Committee Meeting held on

Monday 10th June, 2019 at 10.00am

Present:

Mr S Renold                     Chairman

Mr P H Jackson

Mr J Neilson                     Secretary

Mr R Blofeld

Mr L Monkhouse              Treasurer

Mrs B Day

Mrs A Cowan

Mrs Jean Garside

Apologies for absence:

Mrs M Whiting

Ms H Morrow

Mr Allan McRitchie

Election of Chair and Vice Chair

The nominations were as follows:

Chair:  Steve Renold       Proposer: Laurie Monkhouse Seconded by: Jean Garside

Vice Chair: Phil Jackson   Proposer: Jean Garside: Seconded by: Betty Day

Both nominations were unanimously approved.

Minutes of Previous Meeting

The minutes of the meeting held on 30th April, 2019 were accepted as a true and correct record.  They were accordingly signed for publication.

Matters Arising

Barbara, the tea lady, has agreed to come back.

Paper cups: 2 lots have been bought at a cost of just under 6p per cup

Membership

There is one new member to report, Veronica Robertson, who is returning to the Club after a period of absence

AGM Review

At the AGM three motions were tabled for consideration:

1.Biscuits for all sessions – proposer Simon Headley. The meeting voted against this.

2.Stop tea breaks – proposer Iris Fitzgerald. The meeting voted against this.

3. Display of scores during session and position information on Bridgemates – proposers David Morrison and John Gladders. It was decided that for match pointed sessions that scores would be put up half way through the session, and for aggregate scored sessions that scores would be put up only on the last round of play. The display of position information on Bridgemates would remain unchanged. It was agreed that if anyone feels they have disadvantaged by such policies they should approach the Director for the session.

Other points that arose at the AGM:

It was resolved that the use of the clock during playing sessions would remain at the Director’s discretion.

Liz Muir raised the issue of attendance at NEBA meetings and participation in NEBA events. In this connection Steve Renold advised that he would be attending a NEBA meeting the following day – 11 June. With respect to the promotion and participation in NEBA events it was agreed that that there had been some timing issues in relation to Club events, and in future such issues would be looked at in advance in order to avoid any conflicts.

Upcoming Events

It was agreed that there would be a Summer Party and that this would be added to the calendar.                The agreed date was 24th July.

The schedule of events for next year should be included on the agenda for discussion at the next meeting.

Any Other Business

Following the AGM some responses were received to the request for members to highlight any matters they would like the Committee to consider.                     Seven people requested that consideration be given to making the Friday morning session a play only session. It was agreed that before considering this a quick poll of those attending the Friday morning session should take place in order to gather broader views on this matter. Steve would contact Lorraine and Neil to update them and to co-ordinate the poll.

There was also a suggestion that bidding boxes should be left open at the end of sessions. This proposal was rejected by the Committee – boxes should be left closed and placed in the middle of the table at the end of every session.

A proposal was received from Judy Pannell and Hazel Skipsey to hold a charity bridge session for the Northern Neck and Head Cancer Charity. This was unanimously agreed by the Committee and Jim, Phil and Steve agreed to liaise with Judy on setting up the event.

Steve had 500 promotional Club leaflets printed. It was agreed that in the first instance libraries would be approached with a view to displaying them. Other suggestions for placing them would be discussed at the next meeting.

Steve tabled some playing cards with larger numbers that could help those that are visually impaired. It was agreed that this was a good idea and that further investigation was required.

Next Meeting

This will be held on 1st July at 10:00 am

The meeting closed at 11.40 am.

Jim Neilson

12th June 2019

 

Whitley Bay & Tynemouth Bridge Club

Minutes of Committee Meeting held on

Tuesday, April 30th, 2019 at 10.00am

                         Present:

                        Mr S Renold               -           Chairman

                        Mr P H Jackson

                        Mr R Blofeld              -           Secretary

                         Ms H Morrow

                        Mrs Jean Garside

                        Mr Allan McRitchie

            Apologies for absence:         

                        Mr L Monkhouse       -            Treasurer

                        Mrs G Keating

                       Mrs M Whiting

                        Mrs B Day

                        Mr J Neilson

                        Mrs A Cowan 

Minutes of Previous Meeting

The minutes of the meeting held on March 11th, 2019 were accepted as true and correct records.  They were accordingly signed for publication.

Matters Arising    

David Morrison has agreed to take over the team captain position for the coming year.

The committee decided to go ahead with Club Brochure.  500 copies will cost up to £100 which the majority of the committee agreed as reasonable.

Robert Stead will hold his family function at the club on Sunday, June 23rd, 2019.

The card dealing machine is working satisfactorily.  Phil Jackson asks that dealer download the week's hands to him at the time.  Phil Jackson will look into seeing how this can be done from the dealing computer.

Treasurer's Report

The latest figures show the continuing healthy state of the finances.  In the treasurer's absence Steve Renold presented the audited results for 2018/2019.  They will be published at the upcoming AGM. Apart from the exceptional expenditure spent on the refurbishment, the club continues to make surplus on normal operating expenditure.

Membership

We are sad to record the death of Margaret Jackland.

We welcome the following new members to the club:

George Chapman, Ron Clements, Laura Curran, George Douglas, Ann Dunn, Phil Grenyer, Carol Gurr, Fawaz Khoury, Gill Khoury, Stephen Lovely, Martin Robinson, Iain Simpson, Sharon Wade, Maria Walker, Mary  Wright.

Upcoming Events

AGM preparation

The report on the state of the club was reviewed and is approaching completion. 

The agenda will be as normal.  Robert Blofeld has decided to step down as hon. Secretary Jim Neilsen has agreed to stand for election.  Laurie Monkhouse has agreed to stand again as hon. Treasurer and Andy Pryor as Hon. Auditor. Betty Day, Jean Garside, Phil Jackson and Gill Keating will step down from the committee as required by the constitution and are willing to stand again for election. Robert Blofeld has also agreed to stand for election to the committee.

Next Meeting

Proposed for Monday June 3rd, 2019

Any Other Business

We regret that Donna, our tea lady has had to give up for family reasons.  However, happily, Barbara has agreed to come back.  If and when Barbara is away, we will make own.  In order to save the time and effort in washing up, we will use recyclable paper cups.  Steve Renold will look into this.

The committee discussed, as one of the initiatives for the coming year, setting up a “Host” system.  In this an established member would attend each evening session (and Wednesday afternoon) to partner any player arriving alone.  If all members play their part, the frequency would not be more than a couple of times a year.

The verbal announcement of competitions, to emphasise the published calendar, still falls short of what is desired. In future, even when an event is not announced beforehand, the trophy will be awarded to the session winners.

The front door bell is plugged into a socket in the hall. Members asked to leave it plugged in and switched on at all times.

The meeting closed at 11.30 am.

Robert Blofeld 

May 7th , 2019